Photographers are always on the lookout for ways to make their job easier. Whether it’s a new lens, video camera bag, or tripod, there’s never enough gear that a photographer could ask for.
One of the most important pieces of equipment that photographers use is lighting. Photographers need to be able to see what they’re shooting in order to capture an image properly and with good quality.
Good lighting is essential for any photographer – it can make or break your shots. When you’re taking pictures of people, you need to have the best on camera light possible so that they look their best and therefore give your photos a much higher chance of going viral.
You may like,
- Nude Photography: The Beginners Guide (7 Things to Remember)
- 10 Reasons To Use Canon M50 Mark II
- What does ISO stand for in Photography?
- 7 best camera for night photography that you need to lookout
- Top 11 Best Sigma Lenses to Buy
In this article, I’ll give 10 different recommendations on the top DSLR lights that are worth looking at if you’re in the market for one.
Top 3 best On Camera Light for DSLR
Importance of On Camera Light for DSLR
People are drawn to certain types of lighting in the same way as moths are drawn to different types of food. It’s because we have a large capacity for on camera light perception. It not only illuminates and clarifies; it also alters our mood in the same way that art does.
Humans can identify physical sensations with different lighting, despite the fact that light is immaterial. In the evenings, we want to have warm lighting in our living rooms. When we wake up, we enjoy the crisp morning light streaming through the curtain.
On-camera lights are a terrific method to manipulate the whole range of lighting that people naturally find delightful to see and apply it to your creativity in a cheap, portable, and professional-grade method.
They’re used by YouTubers and bloggers to make their settings look bright, snappy, and professional. Journalists and documentarians use them instead of large, stationary sets.
Instagrammers will clip them to their phones to bring the studio feeling with them on the go.
So, if you’re looking for some portable illumination to help you master your hobby, you’ve come to the correct place.
Buyers Guide – 10 best On Camera Light for DSLR
1. Rotolight NEO 2 LED Camera light
- The NEO 2 is a powerful continuous adjustable color LED light & high-speed sync (HSS) flash (1/8000th) designed for portrait photography and location use with your...
- The adjustable temperature from daylight to tungsten (6300-3150K) in continuous & flash mode produces outstanding flexibility while out shooting ensuring you are...
- In flash mode, the NEO 2 provides 500% more light output (mains power) and 250% on AA (NiMh or Li-ion) batteries. No recycle time, no power loss. Ideal for high...
- Features include True Aperture Dimming which calculates your aperture at a given distance and Cinesfx Mode - This revolutionary feature on the NEO 2 delivers a...
The Rotolight NEO 2 LED video Camera light is a revolutionary new product of the Rotolight company and it looks to be a real contender in the camera-mounted LED world. It features two LEDs, an even color temperature, and is lightweight and compact.
The first thing you’ll notice about this light is its shape – It’s square! If you’re like me, that might make you think twice before picking one up. But don’t worry because there are plenty of reasons why a square-shaped light may just be better than your old round one.
For starters, the Rotolight NEO 2 has an OLED display on the back which shows different modes such as exposure control (Eco/Standard), color temperature (3200K/5600K), and even dimming levels for each of those modes so that if you need more.
- Continuous and flash modes.
- HSS, a first in the industry, is used in flash mode to deliver fast photos with consistent clarity.
- Excellent color temperature range
- Extra longer battery life for your on-the-go lifestyle.
- Filter kit (four pieces) included.
- Quite costly.
- Because of its advanced capabilities, it is not ideal for more basic jobs..
2. Neewer 176 LED Panel
- KIT INCLUDES: (1)176 LED Video Light, (1)Orange Filter, (1)Transparent Filter, (1)2200mAh Replacement Li-ion Battery for Sony NP-F550, (1)Battery Charger; NOTE:...
- ENERGY-SAVING 176 LED VIDEO LIGHT: Constructed with 176 pieces energy-saving LEDs with long life span (up to 50000 hours) for photographers to get perfect light, it...
- POWER SOURCE: Powered by DC power adapter (NOT INCLUDED) or Sony NP-F550/750/970 replacement battery (INCLUDED); Replacement battery and battery charger included for...
- COLOR FILTER: Two filters (1 orange color and 1 transparent) included are for changing shooting effect, including enhancing skin tone in portraits and soften the...
The Neewer 176 LED Panel is perfect for any photographer who wants to take pictures anywhere, anytime. This panel provides the perfect amount of lighting when taking pictures and has very high luminosity which makes it great for portrait photography because it’s not too harsh!
If you’re looking for a versatile solution that can be easily transported and used in almost any setting, Neewer has your back with its 176 LED Panel. This portable lighting system features an aluminum alloy casing with a honeycomb cooling design, ensuring continuous operation at high temperatures without external fan assistance.
The panel also offers an easy setup thanks to its user-friendly interface and can be mounted via keyhole slots or included tripod brackets for flexible positioning options with four different color temperature settings (5000K/3000K/6500K).
- Extremely cost-effective.
- Bright, powerful light.
- Fixed color temperature.
3. Neewer 160 LED Panel
- 60-LED lights for optimum illumination and diffuser.
- There are 2 filters included with this item, with Spotlight effect, Diffuse effect, and for reducing the color temperature to 3200K
- The light intensity can be changed to offer professional effects.
- Rotate switch for on/off and brightness adjustment.
The Neewer 160 LED Panel is one of the best things that has ever happened to me as a photographer. It’s perfect for on-location shoots because it can be easily transported, set up, and taken down in minutes.
And did I mention how great it looks? The panel provides an even light source with no hot spots or shadows so your images come out smooth and clear. All of these features combined make this my go-to lighting solution for any shoot!
The Neewer 160 LED Panel features: -160 LEDs (60 in each row), -360° rotatable head with tilt function, -On/off switch on the power cord for continuous use without removing the battery pack from the panel.
- Very powerful for the price.
- High color temperature rating.
- Effective vent system keeps things cool.
- Battery pack bought separately.
- Doesn’t run for long on batteries.
4. Pixel G1s RGB Panel
- 【COLORFUL LIGHTING EFFECT】RGB LED light panel adopts 80pcs(bi-color) led beads and 70pcs RGB color led beads, illuminance up to 1500Lux(0.5m). RGB full colors...
- 【HUE & SATURATION & BRIGHTNESS & CCT ADJUSTABLE】Hue adjustable from 0 degree -359 degree; Color saturation adjustable from 0%-100%; Brightness from 0%-100%...
- 【PRODUCT FEATURES】CRI≥97, TLCI≥97, built-in 7.4V 3200mAh rechargeable battery, USB Type-C charging port, it can be fully charge in 2.5 hours, and offer 150...
- 【ROTATE ARM with COLD SHOE】Our LED panel light equipped with a 360 degree rotate arm with cold shoe allows you can mount any devices with hot shoe adapter...
This thing’s various photographic color temperature and filter choices can produce amazingly gorgeous and innovative outcomes. It’s a work of art that’s meant to inspire others to produce their own works of art.
Two dedicated dials let you change saturation and brightness from 0 to 100 percent, offering you more creative photo and video possibilities.
You’ll have a lot of fun setting up frames with this light because it has the biggest color temperature range of all our options, ranging from an exceedingly soft 2500 K to a sharp and glacial 8500 K.
As if it couldn’t get much better, it comes with a little LCD display that makes everything crystal apparent and provides accurate readings on how it’s being used.
The battery life of this little neon sun in a plastic case is 2 12 hours if you run it fully for the entire time, which we believe is admirable and long enough to get a reasonable amount of work done before recharging.
You should anticipate it to last 30 minutes to 2 hours longer because you won’t be using it to its full capacity.
- Largest color temperature range on the list.
- Great battery life considering the functions.
- Full brightness controls.
- Full saturation controls.
- Dynamic built-in color temperature options and filter.
- LCD display.
- It May not appeal to everyone.
5. Aputure AL-M9 Amaran LED
- The Amaran AL-M9 is a pocket sized LED fill light. It is incredibly compact and lightweight with 9 SMD bulbs that are powerful in the palm of your hand
- It's flexibility makes it suitable for a wide variety of applications from run and gun video to macro product photography and so on
- High Efficiency Bulbs, TLCI 95+,CRI 95+
- Built-in Lithium Battery, Charged via USB
Aputure’s AL-M9 Amaran LED lights are the perfect option for any photographer with a need to shoot in low-light conditions, or just maintain an even level of illumination across their subject.
It’s always important to be able to see what you’re continuous shooting when taking photographs and that can only happen if space is well lit. If you have been struggling with dark spaces and trying everything from changing settings on your camera to buying special equipment, then I have some good news for you.
Aputure has created a line of LED lights that will make sure every photo taken in a dark environment comes out beautifully.
It boasts a startlingly high color temperature rating of 5500 K, as well as diffusion CTO and CTB filters that can lower the color temperature to a fuzzy 3400K or raise it to a scorching 8800 K, and 9-step brightness control.
Because of the built-in lithium battery, which can be charged through USB, this device will last at least 2 hours. This tiny pocket celestial weighs only 1.6 ounces and measures 3.4” x 2.2” x 0.4”, allowing you to take it with you everywhere you go.
- Incredibly lightweight and portable.
- High color temperature for small light.
- Filters give you a variety of color temperature.
- Integrated lithium battery is USB chargeable.
- Perfect for use on Instagram and blogs.
- A little pricey for its size
- Not as powerful as other led lights on the list.
6. Manfrotto Lumimuse 8
- 8 x LEDs
- Four-step Dimming
- Internal LiPo battery
- Built-in Bluetooth for iOS devices
The Manfrotto Lumimuse 8 is a revolutionary lightweight LED panel that will change the way you shoot. It’s bright, naturally diffused, and made up of eco-friendly LEDs so it won’t wear down your eyes or give off any heat. And with its slim profile design and magnetic mount, it’ll have no problem fitting into your camera bag.
This light has a four-step dimming action, and, like our previous option, it includes an integrated lithium battery that can be charged through USB on the move.
It comes with a handy filter clip that allows you to effortlessly modify the diffusion, CTO, and 14 CTO filters that are provided.
Another fascinating feature is the onboard Bluetooth connectivity, which allows you to pair your phone with the light and operate it with a free app.
Because of its longevity and USB connections, this is a very high-quality light that is ideal for traveling. The maximum battery life of 60 minutes was the only item that disappointed us.
- Very durable design.
- Natural throw circular LED pattern.
- Impressive set K rating with filters to switch it up.
- Integrated Lithium battery.
- 4 step anti-flicker dimming function.
- Quite pricey for a small light.
- Shorter battery life than other picks.
7. Rotolight AEOS
- AEOS is designed for portrait and location photographers and videographers on the move, AEOS is a bi-color, location LED light with a unique ‘ultra-thin’ design...
- Featuring a powerful light output (5750 lux @ 3ft), AccuColour LED phosphor technology ensures the AEOS delivers exceptional color rendering (CRI:96+, TLCI -...
- Uniquely, AEOS includes integrated aluminum handles, giving you the freedom to manoeuvre the lights direction so you can achieve your desired lighting setup. A...
- High Speed Sync Flash (HSS) provides a powerful HSS flash mode with zero recycle time at 200% of the maximum continuous light output for traditional photographic...
The Rotolight AEOS is touted as being the most powerful and best performing LED light on the market. It’s a little pricey, but it has so many features which make it worth every penny.
The Rotolight AEOS features an ultra-compact design at only 6″ x 4″, making it perfect for travel and shoots where space is limited. It also has high-power LED lights that can provide up to 2000 Lumens of brightness, which means there are no limitations on what type of photography you can do with this small.
The LED color temperature is steplessly adjustable from a warm 3150K to a daylight-balanced 6300K, with a maximum power output of 5750 lux at 3 feet.
Rotolight maintains its commitment to excellence with a color rendering index of over 96. The current light intensity and temperature are displayed on an easy-to-read back display, which may be adjusted using separate control dials.
- Super-soft light quality.
- Easily portable.
- Extra features and filters.
- Not cheap.
- Optional battery useful but costly.
8. Joby Beamo
- COSMIC POWER IN A POCKET SIZE: Really compact and portable LED light that brings your content quality anywhere. 1500 lumens up to 8m with 5-levels of brightness...
- NATURAL SKIN TONES: A light temperature of 5100K and dedicated light diffuser ensure flawless lighting that looks just like sunny daylight
- CREATE ANYWHERE: versatile, rugged and waterproof up to 100ft (30m); It features a solid aluminium quality construction - perfect for any outdoor adventure
- MAGNETIC BACK: Beamo Mini expands your creativity. Find a unique perspective and get a fresh twist to your content
It’s time to get serious about your lighting! No longer can you loiter around in the dark and hope for good shots. The Joby Beamo LED will provide you with high-quality, even light that is sure to please any client.
This clever device has a rechargeable battery built-in so no need for bulky external power sources or cables. It also has an adjustable arm that rotates 360 degrees so it can be positioned anywhere from overhead to ground level without hassle. Get yours today and take your photography game up a notch!
It charges by USB-C and rises to 1,000 lumens in five steps, with a maximum brightness of 40 minutes and a diffuser for gentler skin tones. It contains two cold shoe mounts and a universal 1/4-inch tripod thread, as well as the ability to be controlled remotely through Bluetooth.
- Rugged waterproof design.
- Magnetic mounting.
- Maximum 1,000-lumen brightness is limiting.
9. LituFoto R18
- 【Great color performance】RGB 0-360° full color, with 9 common lighting scene effects available，provides different colors to meet a variety of shooting scenes.
- 【Durable Stucture & Small Size】The All-Aluminum Alloy body structure protects light very well and it’s lightweight. It’s smaller than iphone, easily to carry...
- 【Play Your Color Effects with Just a Button】Switch bewteen 9 scenes under three categories in SCENE Mode, you can get effects such as Ambulance Light, Flash...
- 【LCD Display and Li-Battery】Built-in rechargeable 4040mAh lithium battery, can be charged via USB port (USB Cable Included). More convenience and great for...
The LituFoto R18 already has a lot going for it, with 198 LEDs and a bicolor temperature range of 3200-5600K.
Its 10W power output may be increased to 13W, giving it extra bite. It also includes some of Rotolight’s special effects lighting, including nine simulations of lightning and emergency vehicles, making it a terrific method to add impact to your video footage.
Not only does its large 4040mAh battery life provide an hour and a half of full-power use, but it also functions as a power bank for charging mobile devices! A fantastic all-around performer and a must-have for every camera bag.
- Very compact.
- Bicolor light, with effects.
- Doubles as a power bank.
- Battery power only.
10. Litepanels Astra 6X Bi-Color
- BRIGHTER LIGHT: The brightest in its class, it delivers over 1500 lux of quality at 10ft/3m at any color temperature from 3200K to 5600K, producing enough light for...
- TRUE LIFE COLOR: Render skin tones perfectly with true to life color reproduction, Astra’s beautiful light output delivers outstanding color accuracy
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND FLEXIBLE: Quality light wherever you need it in an instant. Weighing in at just 3.2kg the ultra-light Astra is easy to transport and quick to rig or...
- VERSATILE: With greater light output you can use higher framerates on your camera to capture incredible slow-motion scenes, flood studio sets with a wash of...
Litepanels has a reputation for manufacturing high-quality gear for semi-pro filmmakers, and the Astra 6X panel is no exception.
It’s only designed for stationary light to stand mounting and weighs 3.2kg, but the aluminum yoke cradle is quite durable, as is the XLR power input connection, and there’s a silent cooling fan to assure the electronics’ lifespan, as well as 256 individual LEDs.
These are guaranteed to be flicker-free no matter what frame rate you record at, and they can be adjusted in color temperature from tungsten to daylight with ease.
At the tungsten end, the panel achieves an excellent minimum color rendering index of 95, which rises to an extraordinarily precise 98 when producing daylight-balanced illumination.
The Astra 6X produces a massive 6330 lux at a distance of 5 feet, and it’s steplessly adjustable down to 0% with no color shift. The AC connector is elegantly integrated into the yoke, and adaptor plates for mounting a Gold Mount or V-mount power pack are available as options.
- Stunning light power.
- Very high CRI.
- Pro build quality.
- A serious investment.
- Bulky & heavy.
You’ve got your camera, now it’s time to make sure you have the right lighting for every shot. Whether you’re a professional photographer or just someone who likes taking pictures of their friends and family, we’ve compiled the 10 best on camera lights that will help provide flattering light in any setting.
So, which one is the best for you? The answer to that question will depend on your needs and budget. If money isn’t an object, then go with a professional-grade light kit like those by Litepanels or Westcott.
But if you’re looking for something more affordable, there are lots of other options as well; we’ve highlighted some in this blog post! We hope that it helps narrow down the choices for you so that you can find just the right setup.